No one gets in the car hoping to get injured in a car accident. An on-road mishap can bring your world down, and it only makes sense to take legal action when the accident was a result of the other driver’s fault. To firms in Illinois, such as Tuite Law, offer all the support that clients need to fight an accident lawsuit. Before, you are required to take a few basic steps after the mishap, which have been listed below.
- Stop the vehicle and call the police. It is okay to panic after an accident, but don’t run away or leave the scene as this could be seen as a sign of guilt. Ensure that you call the police right away and cooperate with the investigation officer as they ask questions. You can request the officer’s name and contact information and ask about getting a copy of the police report.
- Call 911. If someone is injured, consider calling 911 right away. Also, if you have suffered injuries, take your medical care on priority. Make sure that you only help others when you are okay.
- Get information about other drivers. If other vehicles were involved in the accident, you need information like the name, address, contact number, and insurance company. In case there were witnesses at the scene, make sure to take down their contact details to connect with them later for testimonies.
- Take pictures. If you are physically okay and have a smartphone, capture everything at the scene, including your injuries and damaged vehicle. If you cannot do that, ensure that you write down the sequence of the event as you remember. People often forget things later, and therefore, it is best to write down things on a piece of paper.
- Call an accident lawyer. No matter how smart you are, dealing with the insurance company and getting a fair settlement for your accident claim won’t be easy. Don’t hire any random lawyer, but an attorney specializing in personal injury law and credible experience handling auto accident claims. Also, ask the attorney if they have been to court and can tackle the case if it goes to trial.
Most law firms in Illinois take a contingency fee for accident lawsuits, and you don’t have to pay the lawyer’s fee until you win. Ask the attorney what to expect in terms of financials before you get them on board.